Replace lost income tax return info for Today's Seniors

How to ...

Replace a Lost Income Tax Return

Federal. If you need an exact copy of a previously filed and processed income tax return and all attachments (including Form W-2 (PDF)), you must complete Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the IRS address in the instructions along with a $39 fee for each tax year requested. Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past 6 years.

In cases where an exact copy of the return is not needed, a tax return transcript may be ordered. The tax return transcript shows most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. In most cases, a tax return transcript will meet the requirements for lending institutions for mortgage verification purposes.

For more information from the IRS, click on How do I request a copy of my tax return?

State. Contact your state's Department of Revenue. Check in the government section of your telephone book for their phone number.

Return To –> How to Replace Other Lost, Stolen or Damaged Documents