Lost Savings Bonds info for Today's Seniors

How to ...

Replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed US Savings Bond

Savings bonds that are lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed can be replaced free of charge as long as the Bureau of the Public Debt can establish that the bonds have not been cashed. To assure that the bonds can be traced, owners should keep records of bond serial numbers, issue dates, registration, and social security or taxpayer identification numbers in a safe place separate from the bonds. (The Savings Bond Wizard is a great way to do this!)

To get your bond replaced, complete Form PDF 1048 (download it by clicking on the link). On this form, provide the approximate issue date along with the complete names, addresses, social security number that appeared on the bond, and the bond serial number. If you don't know the serial number or denomination, just write "unknown" in the space provided. If the bond owner is a minor, the form should be signed by both parents and the minor's age and social security number should be included. Mail the completed form to:

Bureau of the Public Debt
Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012

Replacement bonds will still show the original issue date.

Return To –> How to Replace Other Lost, Stolen or Damaged Documents