Replace Social Security Card info for Today's Seniors

How to ...

Replace your Lost Social Security card

You can obtain a free replacement card from Social Security if yours was lost or stolen, or a corrected card if you have changed your name. To do so:

Complete an Application for a Social Security Card. Form SS-5 can be downloaded from Or, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local Social Security office and ask for Form SS-5.

Show evidence of your identity.

For a corrected card, Social Security will need to see one or more documents which identify you by the old name on their records and your new name. The document showing your current identity must have been issued recently.

If you were born outside the U.S., you must show evidence of your U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

Your duplicate card will have the same name and number as your previous card. Your corrected card will have your new name and the same number as your previous card.

Mail or bring your application and evidence documents in person to your local Social Security office. You can find it at your local Social Security office. Your documents will be returned to you.

Return To –> How to Replace Other Lost, Stolen or Damaged Documents